Sunday Evening Bible Study
The study of scripture is central to our identity as Methodist Christians. Throughout the year, we regularly study scripture together in worship and small groups. Recently, we have looked at characters from the Nativity and texts on the theme of 'God with us'.
During the pandemic, we are holding a regular Sunday Evening Bible Study. This is in part to replace our Sunday evening services during the current pandemic but also to deepen our appreciation of the scriptures. The sessions will be from 7:00-8:00 pm via Zoom.
New Year with Mark
To mark the start of the new year, we are starting a fresh topic on Sunday, 10 January in our studies. We shall be looking at the Gospel of Mark, the first gospel to be written. We shall work our way through the text methodically, but not laboriously! We shall reflect on the role of Mark as a narrator of ’the greatest story ever told’ and looking at subjects that we often do not have the time to consider in detail in Sunday morning worship. The studies are for anyone, regardless of how much knowledge you think you have.
Please do join us for any of all of the sessions:
- 14 February - Mark 4:35-5:43 (More miracles) - Geoffrey
- 21 February - Mark 6 (Rejection and miracles) - Kathy
- 28 February - Mark 7:1-8:26 (Disputes and strange healings) - Geoffrey
- 7 March - Mark 8:27-9:50 (Who is Jesus?) - Geoffrey
- 14 March - Mark 10 (Challenges of discipleship) - Kathy
- 21 March - Mark 12 (Jesus in conflict - again!) - Jessica
- 28 March - Passion Narrative in Mark: overview (Mark 11-15) - Geoffrey
You might like to watch this introduction to the gospel before the session start, recorded by our minister:
There are also other ones available, with more detail about the contents of the book:
- the Bible Project;
- one from Jeremy Cummings; and
- the Overview Bible.
Anyone is welcome to join our discussions, where we listen to one another and contribute prayerfully and respectfully. If you would like to join in, please email us here and you will be sent joining details. We look forward to seeing you there.